TIPS Newsletter | May 2022 - Tracking the UK anti-corruption agenda: some recent developments
Dear TIPS Member,
The anti-corruption agenda continues to move at pace with a host of developments in the past month. Some highlights:
Early in the month, the Queen’s Speech included a second Economic Crime Bill in the UK Government’s legislative agenda – a welcome development, but not a silver bullet (see TI-UK blog).
The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Anti-Corruption and Responsible Tax published an Economic Crime Manifesto that cites TI-UK’s evidence-based research in a number of places.
For those advising or working within financial institutions or corporates, TI-UK’s recent report “Values Added” on using values for to enhance anti-corruption approaches in practice can offer further insights on compliance programme and design – with lessons learned not just in anti-corruption, but also across other regulatory compliance areas.
More recently, questions of integrity in public office took another twist amid the recent changes in the UK Government’s ministerial code, which has fuelled calls for further reform of oversight of integrity and conduct for those in high office (see TI-UK blog).
Please see below the TIPS Newsletter for May 2022. We look forward to seeing you soon.
- the TIPS team
1. Upcoming Events (register on our Events page)
TIPS Virtual Talk | 28 June 2022 | NFTs and regulatory risks | 7-8pm BST
Protecting human rights and equality in the age of AI | 7 June 2022 | 2-3.30pm BST
Adam Smith Annual Lecture | 10 June 2022 | 7.30pm BST
Financial Sustainability in Football | 16 June 2022 | 12-1.30pm BST
Africa Accountability Summit | 30 June 2022 | 11am-2pm BST
Whistleblowing and PIDA | 12 Aug 2022 | 10-11am BST
2. Recent Events
TIPS Virtual Talk | The Impact of Digital Activism on Anti-Corruption in Developing Countries
On 30 May, TIPS member Sedrick N’Gotta led an insightful discussion on The Impact of Digital Activism on Anti-Corruption in Developing Countries. Sedrick reflected on his own experience of working in the Cote d’Ivoire anti-corruption agency and how digital activism has shaped the anti-corruption agenda in Cote d’Ivoire.
There were a number of really engaging questions raised by participants throughout the conversation. Many thanks to Sedrick for sharing her insights and to Irasema Guzman for expertly moderating!
Above: TIPS committee member Irasema Guzman introducing the TIPS May Virtual Talk; TIPS Member Sedrick N'Gotta presenting a the TIPS May Virtual Talk; details of the June TIPS Network event.
3. Items of Interest
- Values Added: How companies can use values to enhance their anti-corruption approach. See here.
- Transparency and Corruption in Covid-19 vaccine deployment: evidence from Bangladesh, Uganda and Zambia. See here.
- The hidden barriers to equitable access – tackling corruption in the Covid-19 vaccine rollout. See here.
- Ministerial code changes: further reports needed to address shortcomings in executive oversight. See here.
- Report shows how companies can use values to enhance their anti-corruption approach. See here.
- Economic Crime Manifesto echoes experts’ calls for reform. See here.
- Queen’s Speech 2022: Welcome measures to boost UK’s dirty money defences, but significant gaps remain. See here.
- Third Party Risk Management. Listen here.
- When Financial Crime Compliance Goes Wrong. Listen here.
- Financial Secrecy Index 2022: How Does Your Nation Rank? Listen here.
- Glencore to pay $1bn settlement amid US bribery and market abuse allegations. See here.
- Moldova’s pro-Russia opposition leader detained on corruption charges. See here.
- BVI should have constitution suspended, says corruption report. See here.
- Time to shut down dirty money’s “London laundromat”. See here.
- Bill to crack down on Russian dirty money savaged for lacking teeth. See here.
- Browder urges squeeze on oligarch’s enablers. See here.
- Dirty money from Russia and Europe flooding Dubai real estate according to research. See here.
4. Jobs Board
Senior Desk Office, Japan & Taiwan, Department for International Trade, London. See here.
Senior Investigations Office, National Crime Agency, London. See here.
Senior Compliance Officer / Assistant General Counsel, Financial Crime Group, AIG, London. See here.
5. One Minute Reads
New One Minute Reads have been uploaded to the TIPS website. Please do click the link to read more – perfect for your morning/evening WFH coffee break!
6. Support TI-UK directly by joining Friends of TI-UK!
As a friend of TI-UK you will receive updates from TI-UK directly about TI-UK's ground-breaking research & advocacy campaigns. Your subscription will also support TI-UK's ongoing work across the UK, Business, Health, Defence & Security initiatives. Find out more here.
7. Focus on...
Chevening Scholar at the
Centre for the Study of Corruption
Research Intern at Control Risks
Why did you get involved with TIPS?
I received my first TIPS newsletter back in 2020, when I decided to apply for postgraduate studies at the Centre for the Study of Corruption (CSC), based at the University of Sussex. I was looking to get involved in the most influential UK anti-corruption bodies. The TIPS Network seemed to be the perfect fit, putting together UK anti-corruption professionals from around the world in one place.
Please describe your experience as part of the TIPS Network.
Once a member of TIPS, I soon realised that many of my professors and colleagues from the CSC were already part of the network, including alumni working on interesting anti-corruption projects in Latin America and other regions. Last February, I attended a London gathering with Frank Vogl, who presented an excellent book on how corruption is threatening democracy, where I had the opportunity to meet TIPS members from the UK government, the private sector, and academia.
I was also fortunate to join the first edition of the TIPS 2022 mentoring program, a selective scheme comprised of 5 members. The mentorship has given me the chance to stay in regular contact with a skilled anti-corruption mentor to share experiences and get professional advice.
Connect with Rodolfo on LinkedIn here.