Dear TIPS Member,
The TIPS Network is accepting applications for roles on the TIPS managing Committee for 2023/2024 – please refer to the attached role descriptions. This is a great opportunity to directly support and shape the direction and achievements of the TIPS Network as it continues to grow (over the next year and beyond!).
You can apply by completing the application form here by 13 August 2023. TIPS committee members will:
Be an active advocate for the important work of Transparency International UK;
Learn, engage and share experiences with the TIPS committee and the TIPS community;
Belong to a committee of enthusiastic professionals and academics who share a passion for the anti-corruption agenda;
Attend TIPS committee meetings and in-person socials throughout the year.
Please see below the TIPS Newsletter for July 2023. We look forward to seeing you soon.
- the TIPS team
1. Upcoming Events (register on our Events page)
ESG Summer Drinks Reception | 8 Aug 2023 | 6-8.30pm BST
ESG Leadership & Communicating Value | 28 Sept 2023 | 5.30-8pm BST
ESG Week: Energy and Mining Forum | 6 Nov 2023 | 10am-6pm BST
2. Recent Events
TIPS Event | Anti-Corruption efforts in Lebanon and beyond
On 25 July 2023, the TIPS Network welcomed Serena Ibrahim, founder and director of the Youth Against Corruption (YAC) initiative in Lebanon. She discussed YAC’s activities and collaborations. These include formal and informal corruption education through academic institutions, anti-corruption hackathons, and building an active community of young people to bring attention to the harms of corruption around the world.
Serena also shared her ambitions for YAC to become a locally-engaged, global initiative that works with youth groups who can share their knowledge and expertise in anti-corruption. The discussion was followed by an excellent Q&A session. We would like to also thank TIPS committee member Sofia Tirini for organising and moderating this excellent talk.
3. Items of Interest
- Transparency International UK Business Integrity Forum (BIF) Due Diligence and Related Procedures. See here.
- Ukraine: Reflections on building a transparent and accountable nation. See here.
- New government commitments on undue influence and lobbying transparency welcome, but reform on integrity in government sidestepped. See here.
- Whistleblower stories: 12 inspiring individuals who safeguarded public interest by exposing misconduct. See here.
- Kickback: Introduction to Corruption Theory. Listen here.
- Kickback: Huma Yusef on the links between integrity and ESG. Listen here.
- OCCPR: The Rottenberg Files. See here.
- Special Report: English soccer finances part 1, a tale of FFP, state ownership and bending the rules. See here.
- RUSI: Maximising awareness of Russia’s threat to global financial system integrity. See here
- After the NATO summit, are we already at war with Russia? See here.
- Democracies remain blind to the threat from illicit finance. See here.
- 'I wasn’t financially advised, I was financially abused’ – the financial meltdown affecting a generation of players. See here.
- African convention against corruption and the continental development agenda. See here.
- Almost 200 experts call for an agency against corruption and crime in world sport. See here.
- Women’s sports boom raises corruption risk. See here.
4. Jobs Board
- Chair of the Board, TI-UK, London. Apply here.
- Research Project Manager – Government Defence Integrity Index (GDI), TI-UK, London. Apply here.
- Control Manager – Anti-Bribery and Corruption Risks, JPMorgan Chase & Co, UK. Apply here.
5. One Minute Reads
New One Minute Reads have been uploaded to the TIPS website. Please do click the link to read more – perfect for your morning/evening WFH coffee break!
6. Support TI-UK directly by joining Friends of TI-UK!
As a friend of TI-UK you will receive updates from TI-UK directly about TI-UK's ground-breaking research & advocacy campaigns. Your subscription will also support TI-UK's ongoing work across the UK, Business, Health, Defence & Security initiatives. Find out more here.
7. Focus on...
Senior Researcher, Transparency International UK
What is your background?
I am a Senior Research Analyst in the Business Integrity team at Transparency International UK (TI-UK). I work to raise standards of integrity in the private sector through a range of initiatives. I support the operation and management of the Corporate Anti-Corruption Benchmark, a digital benchmarking tool used by private sector organisations to improve their anti-bribery and corruption frameworks and systems.
I also play a key role in developing the TI-UK Business Integrity team's research and thought leadership projects. Our current research project examines the integral role of anti-bribery and anti-corruption (ABC) in corporate sustainability, and argues that there should be clear, meaningful, and consistent standards for the integration of ABC issues into environment, social, and governance (ESG) action.
Why did you get involved with TIPS?
Being a member of the TIPS network has been a wonderful opportunity to meet individuals from a range of areas - from academia, to professional services, to the manufacturing sector - all of whom are motivated by a common goal: to end the injustice of corruption. This makes for a highly supportive, diverse, and knowledgeable community. Having worked in anti-corruption for only half a year, TIPS events have been ideal opportunities to learn about the key trends and developments shaping the business integrity space.
Connect with Maeve on LinkedIn.