TIPS Newsletter | June 2022 - TIPS: apply to join the TIPS Managing Committee 2022/23
Dear TIPS Member,
Applications for a role on the TIPS Managing Committee for 2021/22 are now being accepted and should be sent to JFord@mayerbrown.com by Monday 8 August 2022. Please do apply if you are interested! This presents a great opportunity for you to:
· be an active advocate for the important work of Transparency International UK;
· better engage, learn from and share experiences with other TIPS members;
· expand your own professional network across a range of sectors;
· help shape the direction of the TIPS Network over the coming year and beyond; and
· join a committee of enthusiastic and engaged professionals and academics who share a passion for the anti-corruption agenda.
Please refer to the separate role descriptions and do reach out to any member of the TIPS team if you have any questions. We look forward to receiving your applications!
Please see below the TIPS Newsletter for June 2022. We look forward to seeing you soon.
- the TIPS team
1. Upcoming Events (register on our Events page)
Walking Through the Mind of a White-Collar Criminal | 7 July 2022 | 2.00pm BST
Assurance Over Compliance to Support the Transition | 11 July 2022 | 4-5pm BST
Future Fraud Conference | 12 July 2022 | 1-4.15pm BST
International Conference on Financial Crimes and Threats | 28-29 July 2022, London
Blockchain – a Deep Dive | 2 Aug 2022 | 6-7pm BST
Whistleblowing and PIDA | 12 Aug 2022 | 10-11am BST
2. Recent Events
TIPS June Event | NFTs and Regulatory Issues
On 27 June, Christian Thorley of Exiger led a fascinating and insightful discussion on NFTs and Regulatory Issues. As well as debunking some myths around NFTs, Christian described the opportunities and use cases of as well as the risks presented by NFTs. A key message throughout his comments was simple: “buyer, beware!”
A robust and rigorous discussion followed Christian’s presentation – with numerous perspectives being presented, including from an NFT owner. Many thanks to Christian for leading this session and to TIPS committee member Sandra Saadi for setting up this talk.
Above: Christian Thorley speaking at the June TIPS Event on 27 June 2022
3. Items of Interest
- Restoring Integrity in Public Life. See here.
- Submission to Welsh Senedd Standards of Conduct Committee Lobbying Inquiry. See here.
- Public Trust In Politics Is At Record Low- Overhauling The Rules Is The Only Way To Turn Things Around. See here.
- Make Ethics Advisor Role Genuinely Independent To Restore Credibility And Enforce Government Standards. See here.
- UN Agencies Are Failing Whistleblowers: The Case of the WHO Whistleblower. See here.
- Tunisia: Crackdown on Democracy and Transparency. See here.
- France’s Unique Approach to Anti-Corruption. Listen here.
- Butler to the World: Britain’s Dirty Money Problem. Listen here.
- Everything Compliance: The Glencore Edition. Listen here.
- On Your Marks, Set… Stop Sextortion in Sport. See here.
- Anti-Corruption in Latin America Still Alive, Despite Setbacks. See here.
- African countries need anti-corruption strategies made ‘by Africans, for Africans’. See here.
- Bribe to Survive: Sextortion and LGBTQ Discrimination. See here.
- What did political parties spend on? Political Finance Transparency in the UK. See here.
- Responsible Tech Summer Reading List – All Tech is Human. See here.
- From Freeze to Seize: Creativity and Nuance is Needed. See here.
4. Jobs Board
Defence and Security Programme Director, TI-UK, London. See here.
Analyst, Financial Crime Compliance, Exiger, London. See here.
Financial Crime Regulatory Specialist (Crypto/ Fintech) Senior Manager, PwC UK, London. See here.
5. One Minute Reads
New One Minute Reads have been uploaded to the TIPS website. Please do click the link to read more – perfect for your morning/evening WFH coffee break!
6. Support TI-UK directly by joining Friends of TI-UK!
As a friend of TI-UK you will receive updates from TI-UK directly about TI-UK's ground-breaking research & advocacy campaigns. Your subscription will also support TI-UK's ongoing work across the UK, Business, Health, Defence & Security initiatives. Find out more here.
7. Focus on...
Bid writer, PA Consulting.
MA Corruption & Governance.
Why did you get involved with TIPS?
I was first introduced to TIPS in 2019 when I began my MA with the Centre for the Study of Corruption at the University of Sussex. As a newcomer to the anti-corruption space, TIPS represented an invaluable resource for networking and accessing quality information. Following my degree, TIPS has allowed me to stay connected to the world of anti-corruption.
Please describe your experience as part of the TIPS Network.
I was delighted to hear that I had been selected as a mentee for the first TIPS mentoring program, at a time when I wanted to transition from my ‘job’ to a ‘career’. My mentor, Sofia Tirini, shared fantastic professional advice and helped me secure multiple offers. It’s such a unique opportunity to gain insight from an anti-corruption professional on a regular basis. My mentor instilled a sense of confidence within me that I can carry with me through the rest of my career.
Connect with Megan on LinkedIn here.