Dear TIPS Member,
We are delighted to announce the membership of the TIPS Managing Committee 2023/2024:
James Ford, Mayer Brown, Committee Co-Chair
Will Jenkins, Gravamen Advisory, Committee Co-Chair
Stella Cooper, Fair Game UK, Advocacy Lead
Sofia Tirini, Access Partnership, Events Lead
Reecha Patel, Ankura, Outreach Lead
Jessica Arapu, Macfarlanes
Adam Bakran, FTI Consulting
Irasema Guzman, University of Sussex
Samer Jannoun, Meta
Lucy Nash, TBIJ
Sandra Saadi, Pinkerton
Joseph Sinclair, Mountford Chambers
Molly Vaughan, Baker Tilly
Jan Westad, Highgate
Oliver Williams, Mayer Brown
We also formally welcome back Magdaline Mwangi, University of Sussex, as TIPS intern.
Many thanks to outgoing committee members Helene Kadjar and Alex Sidossis for their tremendous support and contributions to the TIPS network over the past few years! Many thanks also to Adam Bakran for his leadership and support during his tenure as TIPS Co-Chair, and for continuing to support TIPS on the committee in the coming year.
The new/continuing TIPS committee members have lots of ideas to grow this initiative further to continuing supporting Transparency International UK’s advocacy and outreach initiatives. It promises to be another exciting year for the TIPS Network, and we look forward to you being a part of it!
Please see below the TIPS Newsletter for August 2023. We look forward to seeing you soon.
- the TIPS team
1. Upcoming Events (register on our Events page)
TIPS | Gamechangers: Corruption and Ethics in Sport | 26 September 2023, 6.30-8.15pm BST
Must-Know Strategies for Creating More Visibility Within Your Supply Chain | 7 September 2023, 7-8pm BST
AI: Friend or Foe in Fighting Financial Crime? 20 September 2023, 4.30-5.30pm BST
ESG Leadership & Communicating Value | 28 Sept 2023 | 5.30-8pm BST
ESG Week: Energy and Mining Forum | 6 Nov 2023 | 10am-6pm BST
2. Jobs Board
- Global Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC) Officer, Deutsche Bank, London. Apply here.
3. Items of Interest
- TI and OCCRP: Russian Asset Tracker. See here.
- Do the government’s proposals on standards and integrity go far enough? See here.
- New confiscation case will test the UK’s commitment to transparent asset return. See here.
- Youth Against Corruption: Inspiring Stories from Indo-Pacific. See here.
- Maximising impact and protection of whistleblowers: the key role of internal reporting systems. See here.
- Pakistan: empowering women through access to justice. See here.
- 15 ways young people can fight corruption. See here.
- Legitimate Interest 2.0: Enabling journalists and activists to follow the money in the European Union. See here.
- Game On: The unstoppable rise of women’s sport. Listen here.
- Kickback: Huma Yusef on the links between business integrity and ESG. Listen here
- The Dark Money Files: A view from the Farage side. Listen here.
- Open the Vaccine Contracts. See here.
- New dynamics in illicit finance and Russian foreign policy. See here.
- SIGA Sports Integrity Week. See here.
- Is the climate crisis a corruption crisis? See here.
- The time for instituting a new global corruption court is now. See here.
- The Art of Compliance Window Dressing. See here.
- The Public Sector Counter Fraud Journal. See here.
- Tackling corruption by Improving Financial Inclusion in Nigeria. See here.
- The Road to Brazil: How do the G20’s Actions on Asset Recovery Stack Up? See here.
- The ISO standard for internal investigations is out. Here’s what to know. See here
- Has China outlawed due diligence? See here
- Generative AI: The problem of ‘mere information’ vs values. See here.
4. One Minute Reads
New One Minute Reads have been uploaded to the TIPS website. Please do click the link to read more – perfect for your morning/evening WFH coffee break!
5. Support TI-UK directly by joining Friends of TI-UK!
As a friend of TI-UK you will receive updates from TI-UK directly about TI-UK's ground-breaking research & advocacy campaigns. Your subscription will also support TI-UK's ongoing work across the UK, Business, Health, Defence & Security initiatives. Find out more here.
7. Focus on...
Mutual and Exchange Traded Funds Manager, Bloomberg
What is your background?
I'm currently working in the Global Data department at Bloomberg in London. After obtaining my BA and MSc in economics, I gained over over 10 years of experience working in financial services, including asset and fund management, transfer agency, and technology solutions. I am fluent in English, Dutch and French, and I have worked in Belgium, France, Luxembourg and United Kingdom.
I have a track record of success in multiple roles in developing client relationships, digital transformation/leadership and the use of software solutions, particularly in the context of asset management, fund management and EU/UK fund regulation.
Why did you get involved with TIPS?
In 2018, I arrived in London from Luxembourg, eager to connect with like-minded souls sharing my passions. Working in the EU fund regulation sector meant that transparency was vital. My friend James, the TIPS Network founder, invited me to their inaugural event. Ever since, I’ve frequented TIPS gatherings, captivated by the timely discussions impacting professionals across all industries. It’s not just a network; it’s a hub of inspiration and growth.
Connect with Arooj on LinkedIn.