Dear TIPS Member,
The Environmental Investigation Agency, who presented at a TIPS Virtual Talk in April 2021, have released the first-of-its kind Global Environmental Crime Tracker. It is well worth exploring – particularly given the often close nexus between corruption and environmental crime. See a demo here and access the tracker here.
In addition, the TIPS team is now welcoming applications to the TIPS committee for 2021/22. Please refer to the separate role specification form. If you would like to learn more about the experience of existing committee members, do feel free to reach out to the TIPS team via the TIPS website.
Please see below the TIPS Newsletter for June 2021. We look forward to seeing you (online) soon.
- the TIPS team
1. Upcoming Events (register on our Events page)
TIPS Virtual Talk | 26 July 2021 | 7-8pm BST
Building Resilience: The Evolving Role of Corporate Governance | 8 July 2021 | 6-7pm BST
Magnitsky Sanctions or Extraterritorial Application of U.S. Law | 12 July 2021 | 10-11am BST
ESG Data Challenges & Greenwashing | 14 July 2021 | 3-5.30pm BST
Human Rights Innovation - insights in the methodology | 29 July 2021 | 3.30-4pm BST
2. Recent TIPS events
TIPS Virtual Talk | Summary
On 28 June 2021, an engaged group of TIPS members attended a thought-provoking discussion presented by TIPS Committee member Max Rossiter on the role civil litigation can play in protecting victims and not just punishing wrong-doers.
It was a thought provoking session followed by some lively discussion on the pros and cons of the public litigation and the potential benefits of private prosecutions. Many thanks to Max for leading the session!
3. Items of Interest
TI UK Publication: For whose benefit? Transparency in the development and procurement of COVID-19 vaccines. This report analyses transparency of two key stages of vaccine development in chronological order, namely the development and subsequent buying of vaccines. See here.
EIA Tracker: Global Environmental Crime Tracker. The Environmental Investigation Agency has released a first-of-its-kind Global Environmental Crime Tracker to analyse wildlife and forest crime. See a demo here and access the tracker here.
TI UK blogs.
- Open Societies or Shut Down protests: Defending open societies begins at home. See here.
- Answers to key questions of PPE “VIP Lane” are needed to set the record straight. See here.
- Lack of transparency over vaccine trials, secretive contracts and “science by press release” risks success of global COVID-19 response. See here.
- Kickback: Robert Barrington on anti-corruption legislation in the UK. Listen here.
- Shining Light on Right-Wing Extremism with Dr. Hans-Jakob Schindler. Listen here.
- Financial Crime Insights: The Human Harms of illicit Finance. Listen here.
- EIA Blog: Rotten to the core – how to tackle the corrupt networks facilitating wildlife and forest crime. See here.
- Former Unaoil executive must return £402,000 over bribery scheme. See here.
- Smoking gun file shows SFO missed key evidence in Serco trial collapse. See here.
- SFO director: state of UK law is frustrating open investigations. See here.
4. Jobs Board
- Compliance Officer, TikTok, London. See here.
- Sustainability Manager, Swetty Betty, London. See here.
- Compliance Expert, Basel Institute on Governance, Basel, Switzerland. See here.
5. One Minute Reads
New One Minute Reads have been uploaded to the TIPS website. Please do click the link to read more – perfect for your morning/evening WFH coffee break!
6. Support TI-UK directly by joining Friends of TI-UK!
As a friend of TI-UK you will receive updates from TI-UK directly about TI-UK's ground-breaking research & advocacy campaigns. Your subscription will also support TI-UK's ongoing work across the UK, Business, Health, Defence & Security initiatives. Find out more here.
7. A Focus on...
Serious Fraud Office
Why did you get involved with TIPS?
I was introduced to the TIPS network by Michael Bowes QC, a Transparency International UK Trustee, whom I know through my work at the Serious Fraud Office. Working in anti-corruption, I was interested to learn about the experiences of fellow professionals in the same sphere and keen to offer my support to TI-UK.
Please describe your experience as part of the TIPS Network.
I have attended numerous TIPS networking event and met a wide range of people who are similarly interested in the anti-corruption agenda. It has been great to reach out to people from different professional backgrounds and to share experiences and knowledge.