Dear TIPS Member,
At the TIPS Three Years On event in February, Daniel Bruce, Chief Executive of TI-UK, presented TI-UK’s new 10 year strategy. TI-UK’s stated mission is to “stop corruption, promote integrity and hold power to account for the common good” by advancing policy, improving practice and promoting change. But how can you support TI-UK as a TIPS member? You can:
Be a champion and ambassador for TIPS within your organisation, for example by promoting TI-UK as an impartial, credible research based for change and improvement in practice;
Amplify the work of TI-UK on social media, for example by sharing TI-UK reports on LinkedIn and/or with friends and colleagues;
Join Friends of TI-UK to receive exclusive TI-UK content and access to exclusive events.
Read the full strategy here.
Please see below the TIPS Newsletter for March 2021. We look forward to seeing you (online) soon.
- the TIPS team
1. Upcoming Events (register on our Events page)
TIPS Virtual Talk | 26 April 2021 | 7-8pm BST
Essentials of Compliance Investigations Conference | 12-13 April 2021
AML and the Art Market | 14 April 2021 | 3-4.30pm BST
Compliance with the new EU Whistleblowing regulations | 15 April 2021 | 4-5pm BST
Investigating Corruption: US versus UK – A Widening Transatlantic Divide? | 20 April | 5-6.30pm BST
2. Recent Events
TIPS Virtual Talk | Summary
On 29 March 2021, 13 TIPS members attended a thought-provoking discussion on Finding and Investigating Fraud and Corruption Outside the Data Room and what tools and methods are available to prevent fraud in public procurement led by TIPS members Will Bullock Jenkins and Irasema Guzmán. It was a fantastic talk followed by plenty of academic discourse – many thanks to Will and Irasema for such a great session!
3. One Minute Reads
New One Minute Reads have been uploaded to the TIPS website. Please do click the link to read more – perfect for your morning/evening WFH coffee break!
4. Items of Interest
TI UK Publications. TI UK has published a new defence report on West Africa. The report shows how corruption in the defence sector can undermine the stability of nations and weaken the ability of western African countries to defend their citizens. See here.
TI EU Report. TI EU has released a new report about the influence of tech companies in the European Union. The research makes some recommendations in improving lobbying efforts within EU institutions. See here.
FACTI Panel Report. This new report stresses the role of financial integrity and accountability in achieving the 2030 Agenda. It shows how corporate profit-shifting of multinational companies erodes the tax base of countries. See here.
TI UK blogs.
- It’s time for the ministerial code to become law. See here.
- Addressing the nexus between corruption and conflict through security sector reform. See here.
- James Ibori: Confiscating the corrupt assets of a Nigerian Governor. See here.
- Briefing: Account Freezing Orders – Law Enforcement’s Ace of Spades. See here.
- Financial Crime Matters: Focusing on Illicit Trade. Listen here.
- Making a Killing: Introduction to Kleptocracy and Corruption. Listen here.
- Bribe, Swindle or Steal: Surviving a Bribery Investigations and Fostering a Culture of Compliance. Listen here.
- Former French President sentenced to jail for Corruption. See here.
- Unsanctioned Belarussian Tycoons slipped into the EU via Lithuanian Investments. See here.
- The role of Anti-corruption agenda in Kosovo elections. See here.
5. Jobs Board
- Fraud Detection Specialist, Klarna, London. See here.
- Coordinator Anti-Corruption Unit, Interpol, Lyon, France. See here.
- Anti-corruption Consultant, UNDP, home-based. See here.