Dear TIPS Member,
The TIPS Network is excited to announce a number of upcoming events as part of its 2021 programme. As the TIPS Network marks the three year anniversary since its formal launch, we are delighted to welcome Daniel Bruce, Chief Executive of TI-UK, and Ben Cowdock, TI-UK’s Investigations Lead, for a presentation of TI-UK’s latest news and discussion of the role of professional enablers in facilitating unethical and illicit activity.
We also have some excellent upcoming Virtual Talks. In February, we will discuss the ethical obligations of lawyers and the effect of human emotion on the bribery and corruption landscape. Further ahead, we already have lined up for April a fascinating insight into the role corruption plays in facilitating environmental crime through the lens of pangolin trafficking. Lastly, we will continue our engagement with KCL through an anti-corruption debate on DPAs.
Please see below the TIPS Newsletter for January 2021. We look forward to seeing you (online) soon.
- the TIPS team
1. Upcoming Events (register on our Events page)
TIPS: Three Years On | 24 February 2021 | 6.30-7.45pm GMT
February Virtual Talk | 22 Feb 2021 | 7-8pm GMT
KCL Debate | 15 February 2021 | 6:30pm GMT
Decent work, transparency & traceability in the garment sector | 1 Feb 2021 | 2.30-4pm GMT
Organisations: Beyond Victims and Perpetrators | 2nd Winter Economic Crime Symposium 2021
4 Feb 2021 | 10am-4pm GMT
Confidentiality v Transparency | 10 Feb 2021 | 6-7.30pm GMT
Corporate due diligence and private international law | 25 Feb 2021 | 2-4.30pm GMT
2. Recent Events
TIPS Virtual Talk | Summary
On 25 January 2021, 17 TIPS members attended a discussion session titled Compliance and investigations: the evolving legal and regulatory environment led by TIPS Outreach Lead Adam Bakran and TIPS Committee Chair James Ford.
They discussed different compliance areas, including anti-bribery and corruption, human rights and the environment, and how upcoming legislative change is shifting the risk dynamic for companies across all sectors.
3. One Minute Reads
New One Minute Reads have been uploaded to the TIPS website. Please do click the link to read more – perfect for your morning/evening WFH coffee break!
4. Items of Interest
- CPI shows key markets for “Global Britain” at high risk of public sector bribery and embezzlement. See here.
- Progress [un]made: Defence governance in central and Eastern Europe. See here.
- From Practice to Impact: 4 years on from the 2016 Anti-Corruption Summit. See here.
- Responsible Business Conduct. See here.
- Will COVID be the shot in the arm that drives transparency in pharmaceutical pricing? See here.
- Britain’s chance for global leadership. See here.
- Corruption, Crime and Compliance: a discussion of the US Corporate Transparency Act. Listen here.
- Kickback – the Global Anti-corruption Podcast: The vulnerabilities and resilience of American political institutions. Listen here.
- HMRC names agencies breaching anti-money laundering processes. See here.
- Companies failing to prevent economic crime? Is a new dawn coming? See here.
- £1bn a year laundered in cash transfers. See here.
5. Jobs Board
- Research Associate, Transparency International Secretariat, Berlin. See here.
- Anti-bribery and corruption manager, Santander, London. See here
- Anti-Corruption compliance Officer, JP Morgan, London. See here.